On the other hand, the (philosophical) problem concerning the intensity of space remains. Besides some paradoxes of place, with its superimposed incongruous spaces and times, contemporary cinema seems to offer us an additional dimension that just cannot be expressed by the too general concept of “space”. Can we still elaborate deeply about interior or exterior space in the films of Hou Hsiao-hsien, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Rithy Panh, Abbas Kiarostami, Pedro Costa, etc.?
Or, on the contrary, are those most impressive exploits already a manifestation of an empty extension? We feel that an important philosophical problem is being incarnated or, better still, being expressed through contemporary cinema (even if one might suspect that what one might call an empty affective extension was anticipated by Henri Michaux’s later writings). Its further and conjoint exploration would perhaps provide a conceptual grid to comprehend it after modern cinema.
|Ainda não começámos a pensar
We have yet to start thinking
Arquivo / Archive
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (109)
- Ao pé da letra #115 (António Guerreiro)
- «The Man of the hoe» (translation), on Thomas Harl...
- Expoentes críticos | Critical exponents (O período...
- Trabalho de luto | Work of mourning (O período cor...
- Pequenos elementos parciais ardentes | Small parti...
- Amplitude gestual | Gestural amplitude (O período ...
- Linhas de fuga | Lines of flight (O período cor-de...
- Descontinuidade forçada | Forced discontinuity (O ...
- Tentativa de periodização | Attempt at periodizati...
- In memoriam Thomas Harlan (1929-2010)
- “Cópias cor-de-rosa” | “Magenta prints” (O período...
- Uma particular cinefilia | A singular cinephilia (...
- Ao pé da letra #114 (António Guerreiro)
- Empty extension (Birth of electronic space #11)
- [Devido à minha ausência de Lisboa, a rubrica mens...
- ▼ Outubro (18)
- ► 2009 (140)
- ► 2008 (137)
- ► 2007 (99)
- ► 2006 (120)